South Hook LNG volunteering programme helps to fund safety equipment

8th June 2018, Milford Haven, Wales, UK

Pembrokeshire Yacht Club (PYC) has new safety equipment thanks to the support of volunteers who work at South Hook LNG and the energy company’s commitment to rewarding the community work of its people.

Money received by PYC is the result of volunteering efforts of two members of the South Hook LNG team – both of whom have assisted the Club with the sail training of its members and have committed over sixty hours between them, during the course of 2017. The volunteering hours were rewarded with a direct financial contribution to the Club, where purchases of VHF radios and a safety boat engine are helping to keep everyone safe whilst afloat.

Mariam Dalziel, PR Manager at South Hook LNG said, “It’s great that we are able to support the volunteering work of our people in their chosen community ventures. Without the dedication of volunteers across the County, many organisations would struggle. We are proud to be able to give something back to the community projects that matter to our colleagues, acknowledging their hard work and commitment.”

Christian Smart, Process Operator at South Hook LNG has been volunteering at the PYC for over 20 years, and spends much of his time instructing students of all abilities and ages, how to sail.  Christian said, “The funding received through South Hook LNG’s volunteering programme is invaluable, helping us to purchase and maintain essential safety equipment and provide sail training”. Christian continues, “The Club has had many success stories over the years with some of the sailors achieving Welsh and British Championship titles, but it’s not all about the winning. We want to be able to continue to offer sailing opportunities to children from the age of eight and to encourage safe active leisure use of the Haven’s sheltered waters.”

Home to a number of the County’s most active water-based teams, from cruiser and dinghy sailing to long boat rowing, scuba diving and angling, the PYC, based in Gellyswick Bay, welcomes anyone who is interested in taking up the sport (www.pembsyachtclub.org.uk).

-Ends-

Photo caption: Volunteers from South Hook LNG - Julian Owens, Business Services Manager, Christian Smart, Process Operator - pictured with members from Pembrokeshire Yacht Club.

Notes to Editor:

South Hook LNG is one of Europe’s largest Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminals.  It has a processing capacity of 15.6 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) and is capable of delivering up to 21 billion cubic metres (bcm) per annum of gas into the National Transmission System (NTS) – equivalent to around 20% of current UK natural gas needs. South Hook LNG’s shareholders are Qatar Petroleum, ExxonMobil and Total.

For further information, contact: Mariam Dalziel, Public Relations Manager
Tel: 01437 782202
Email:  Email: mdalziel@southhooklng.com
Website: www.southhooklng.com

You may also be interested in…