South Hook LNG continues support for Pembrokeshire Communities

19th November 2012, Milford Haven, Wales, UK

Pembroke Dock Kickboxing Club

Carl Kean and the members of Pembroke Dock Kickboxing Club recently welcomed South Hook LNG to see the great progress the club has made in establishing their premises, welcoming members of all ages to train in a safe and exciting environment.  The group received support from the South Hook LNG Community Development Programme to purchase vital training and safety equipment that will enhance the development and wellbeing of all members.

Pembrokeshire Rivers Trust- Otter Education Programme

Students of Milford Haven Junior School have taken part in the South Hook LNG and Pembrokeshire Rivers Trust Otter Project. The school is one of eight to benefit from the partnership between South Hook LNG and the Rivers Trust, allowing students to investigate the habitats and environment in and around our County. The classroom activities focus on the habitats and adaptations of the otters and other wildlife found alongside the Pembrokeshire waterways.  Visits to the beaches and rivers are providing great opportunities for the students to get “hands on” in researching the species and environments.

Jo Cunningham the project co-ordinator for Pembrokeshire Rivers Trust explained the benefits that this project will bring to the students of Pembrokeshire, saying “the more we show students how important and unique the species and habitats are in our County, the more we hope to inspire young people to get involved with their local wildlife and conservation.

“Pembrokeshire is home to many amazing species, the otter being a great example. We are delighted that South Hook LNG has again provided the funding for us to offer these programmes to local schools and look forward to seeing the continued positive benefit to the young people in our County” she said.

Environmental and Quality Manager, Elvan Akkaya commented, “at South Hook LNG we work hard to ensure that our high environmental standards are met and in echoing this commitment within the community, we are proud to contribute to an educational project that will allow more young people to see the wildlife that surrounds us here in Pembrokeshire.”  The Otter Project follows a previous research study also supported through South Hook LNG’s Community Development Programme, which saw the installation of cameras to monitor the otters’ activity. Footage from this project has been shared on the organisation’s website and can be found at

Maritime Volunteer Service

Newly purchased heavy duty waterproofs, first aid kits and essential safety flare packs will assist the Milford Haven Maritime Volunteer Service (MVS), thanks to the support of South Hook LNG’s Community Development Programme.

Promoting maritime safety for all users of the Haven Waterway, the Pembrokeshire MVS is an important community resource, manned by local volunteers.

The Services’ ’secretary Paul Charles thanked South Hook LNG for its help, saying “it is great to be supported by South Hook LNG; this equipment will be used by our volunteers when they are out on the water, allowing them to safely assist the many maritime events and activities that take place at the Port.”

South Hook LNG, PR Manager, Mariam Dalziel spoke of the company’s reasons for supporting the organisation.

“It is important for us at South Hook LNG, that we are able to mirror our strong safety values through the community initiatives that we support.  With safety being at the forefront of all that we do at the Terminal, we are proud to support a voluntary organisation that contributes to the safety of our marine environment, promoting good practices amongst all users of the Milford Haven Waterway.”

The MVS is part of the National organisation that encourages volunteers with or without any previous experience in maritime affairs.  More information can be found at

Notes to Editor:

South Hook LNG is one of Europe’s largest Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminals.  It has a processing capacity of 15.6 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) and is capable of delivering up to 21 billion cubic metres (bcm) per annum of gas into the National Transmission System (NTS) – equivalent to around 20% of current UK natural gas needs. South Hook LNG’s shareholders are Qatar Petroleum International, ExxonMobil and Total.

For further information contact: Mariam Dalziel, Public Relations Manager

Tel: 01437 782202

You may also be interested in…