South Hook LNG Scholarship Award

14th September 2017

South Hook LNG Scholarship Award

A student from Haverfordwest is starting her first year at the University of York with a financial boost, thanks to South Hook LNG’s Scholarship Award.

Following successful A Level results, Simone Terry - a former pupil of Sir Thomas Picton School -  will now be embarking on a four year Masters Degree in Chemistry, including a year in industry. Simone was one of many local students to apply for the energy company’s annual Scholarship, which along with a written application, also involved giving a presentation as to future career aspirations.

“The quality of the applications received by local students was really impressive,” commented South Hook LNG’s General Manager, Rob Else. “We are pleased to be offering the Award to Simone, on the basis of her clear passion for her subject, an academic record that speaks volumes about her dedication, as well as her interest in the role that chemistry plays in the energy sector.”

Having grown up in Haverfordwest, Simone’s interest in Chemistry started at a young age. “Without chemistry we would not have many of the advances that have come about in fields as diverse as the energy sector, pharmaceuticals and the production of materials,” commented Simone.

“Knowing that these advances are attributable to chemists and that chemists are at the forefront of countless remarkable discoveries has inspired me to carry out a degree in chemistry. I would like to thank South Hook LNG for this very generous scholarship which will assist me greatly during my studies at the University of York and help me to fulfil my career ambitions.”

South Hook LNG’s Scholarship Programme encourages applications from local students seeking higher education in engineering, science or business related disciplines. Details for how to apply to the 2018 Programme will be available on the Company’s website next year.

-Ends-

Photo caption: Simone Terry with South Hook LNG’s General Manager Rob Else, Operations Manager Ken Hurley and HR Manager Andy Street.

Notes to Editor:

South Hook LNG is one of Europe’s largest Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminals.  It has a processing capacity of 15.6 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) and is capable of delivering up to 21 billion cubic metres (bcm) per annum of gas into the National Transmission System (NTS) – equivalent to around 20% of current UK natural gas needs. South Hook LNG’s shareholders are Qatar Petroleum, ExxonMobil and Total.

For further information, contact: Mariam Dalziel, Public Relations Manager
Tel: 01437 782202
Email:  Email: mdalziel@southhooklng.com
Website: www.southhooklng.com

You may also be interested in…