“The commitment to safety at South Hook LNG is evident throughout the organisation. We strongly believe that all incidents and accidents are preventable and strive to instill a culture of continual improvement in our safety practices. Leadership in this area is centred around a structured Safety, Security, Health & Environment Management System (SHEMS) that is instrumental in setting a clear expectation, as well as clarity around how our actions are evaluated. As a core Value for our organisation, every member of the South Hook LNG team takes responsibility for the ongoing commitment to achieving our safety goals.”
Safety at South Hook LNG
South Hook LNG Terminal is a terminal that is underpinned by the highest regard for safety standards.
There is an ongoing commitment for the well-being of our staff, our visitors, our community, as well as a determination to protect the environment. Multiple layers of protective safety systems have been set-up to maintain the highest safety standards at all times.
Most importantly, the South Hook LNG Terminal is an Upper Tier COMAH (Control of Major Accident Hazards) regulated site. This set of regulations aim to prevent and limit the impacts in the unlikely event of a major accident involving potentially dangerous substances.
In order to meet these requirements and prevent a major incident from occurring, South Hook LNG has a number of systems in place. These are reviewed continuously and include:
- LNG and liquid nitrogen is stored in tanks which are designed for a high degree of safety and structural integrity
- Automated safety and detection systems are used on site for controlling and monitoring purposes
- Emphasis is placed on training and working to strict management systems, including producing detailed risk assessments and mitigating the risks
- Our Terminal has a Major Accident Prevention Policy (MAPP) and a Major Emergency Plan (MEP), which are activated in the unlikely event of a major emergency
- Our detailed emergency plans are regularly tested in conjunction with the Emergency Services and Pembrokeshire County Council
Everything we do at South Hook LNG is rigorously tested and monitored continuously by a number of regulators, including the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).
Our Foundation Policies
One of our foundation policies is the Safety, Security, Health and Environmental Policy. Engendering a culture of Safety, Security, Health and the protection of our Environment at South Hook LNG is the key focus of this Policy.